The specifications of Apple’s new iOS 5 version are still a secret, but it is very clear that Apple is currently testing their new iOS 5 alot. One of the new features of iOS 5, according to some very reliable sources, is said to be OTA software updates!
Now, however exciting this may sound to some, to others this will be more or less Chinese, and will sound rather useless. So, let me explain. At this moment, if you want to update your iPhone/iPad to a new iOS version, you need to attach it to your (Mac or Windows) computer via a USB cable, fire up iTunes, and keep your iPhone/iPad connected untill the upgrade is finished (this is what they call thetered, connected with a wire).
In the future, you will simply see a message on your iDevice’s screen saying there is a software update available, giving you the chance to install it, or leave it for later.
This gives you the freedom to live without iTunes, which may not be worth alot for some, but is very nice for others, for instance, people who do not use Mac or Windows, but use Linux, or some other systems that are not supported by iTunes.
Of course, iOS 5 bringing OTA software updates does raise a few questions:
- - Currently, Apple always brings out a full new version of the iOS system, meaning a download of approximately 600Mb. Not really something you would want to do on a GPRS or Edge network. So, will they only allow the OTA software update on G3 and WiFi? Or will they do partial updates, where only the new part of the iOS system is being downloaded and installed?[ad#ban]
- - When you install a new iOS version the regular way, as it is now with iOS version 4 and below, before iTunes installs the newly downloaded version, it always backs up your iPhone settings and data. How will that be done with OTA software updates? Bak it up over the air too, into the cloud? Or just skipp the backup alltogether?
Anyway, no matter how it turns out, it seems like we have some exciting new things to look out for with the new and upcoming iOS 5!!!
Incoming search terms:
- update ios without itunes
- update ipad to ios 5 without itunes
- update to ios 5 without itunes
- how to update to ios 5 without itunes
- how to install ios5 on iphone 4 without itunes
- update ios 5 without itunes
- upgrade ipad to ios 5 without itunes
- how to update ios without itunes
- upgrade to ios 5 without itunes
- update iphone to ios 5 without itunes