With the launch of the new iPhone 4.0 Operating System (OS) scheduled for release, there is already excited speculation. IPhone manufacturer, Apple, is keeping tight-lipped about many of the alleged new features and has only gone into detail about a few, but they have claimed recently that the new 4.0 version will contain over 100 new end-user features. So what are these new features that Apple has disclosed?
What Apple has revealed about the iPhone 4.0 OS
This will not come as a shock, but Apple has boldly claimed that this new upgrade will be a big deal. A few months before the proposed release, it is time to bash the promotion drum and start dangling the carrot.
Apple is stating that the new 4.0 OS will offer more that 1500 new APIs for developers. The most interesting of these seems to be a new ability from the iPhone 4.0, for some apps to allow multitasking – albeit for specific purposes.
Multitasking with the iPhone 4.0 OS
Double-tapping the home button on the iPhone 4.0 will bring up an application switching tray. This tray shows active programs – like a dock for multitasking applications.
So you can now switch quickly between apps and not have to close one first, before opening another. The old app is simply suspended and waits silently in the background, ready to be used again. It is essentially frozen and therefore does not consume any valuable CPU power.
Other new features from the 4.0
- The new OS will now include folders, allowing a user to arrange applications into ordered files, by means of a simple drag-and-drop operation.
- Support for Bluetooth keyboards.
- Apple is making the e-reader application and iPad online bookstore available to the iPhone via the 4.0 OS. This will be scaled to fit the smaller screens.
- The ability to have mail from different email accounts dropped into one universal inbox.
As mentioned, Apple is not revealing too much right now but expect more “feature-leaks” as the release date approaches.
Some features that may not be so popular
- Adverts in applications – Apple has stated that the new OS will feature adverts in applications. These will be similar to those found in various web pages and search engine results. The likelihood is that they will take the form of apps within apps. This is great news for developers, who can agree to include these adverts within their apps and receive 60% of the revenue, but not necessarily good news for users.
- Backwards compatibility issues – If you own an iPhone 3G that was produced in 2009 and later then you will be fine. The iPhone 3G from 2008 can run the new 4.0 OS but will not be able to harness the new multitasking features. As of yet, there has been no official declaration as to whether non-3G, or previous, iPhones will be able to run the new OS, but it is doubtful.
More news to follow…
There are pros and cons to the new features of the 4.0 OS. Apple has so far only hinted at great things, but revealed very little. There is likely to be more announcements as the new OS nears its implementation date and though that has not been officially specified, it is thought to be in the coming months, as Apple usually brings out any new OS in June.
Want to learn how to repair your own iPhone? You will with this tutorial!
Do you have Apple’s iOS 4.1 installed in the meantime, and are you looking to jailbreak that on your iDevice? Then check out this article: Jailbreak your iOS 4.1 iDevice with greenpois0n [jailbreak tutorial]